Sunday 8 May 2011

Self Portraits

Californian artist Julie Heffernan produces self portraits that portray the artist merged with nature and society in surreal, psychological ways. A mix between de Chirico, Bosch and Archimboldo, Heffernan's unusual approach to the subject matter is achieved through a sort of stream of consciousness approach which she calls "image streaming": 
“Before I’m actually sleeping, as I relax and get out of the conscious mind, pictures will flood into my head, kind of like a movie,” she said. “It’s not like daydreaming or remembering. They’re spontaneous pictures that I just sit back and watch. And then I’ll fall asleep. When I wake up, it’s at that point where the images start to stream in, and out of those, I’ll usually ‘see’ something.” 
The result is these large 2 metre paintings of sensuous, surreal and allegorical images.





Burn brightly, Pete

No comments:

Post a Comment