Saturday 16 July 2011

The Next Tattoo

My daughter has a number of tattoos (and piercings) and is currently searching through websites looking for text examples and possibilities for the next two inked images. She already has the Chanel logo on her ankle (courtesy of an ex-boyfriend's cajolling) and Picasso's peace dove on her left inner wrist which she is thinking of getting re-inked with colour.

When I was 19, my younger brother had himself inked at age 17, much to my mother's horror (you could literally see the blood drain from her face when she discovered what he had done). By the time he was 27, he was talking to me about laser removal or corrective surgery to take the large traditional image (now blurred and fading) off his left bicep. (A cross with multi coloured flowers, swallows and "Mother" - it was the easiest identifying feature at his post-mortem).

I've never taken the plunge, (needles don't worry me) but from time to time do consider the possibility of having a Mondrian or a Rembrandt Self-portrait inked onto my bicep... but I probably won't. Too permanent for someone whose life is constant change and re-adjustment (and I wonder whether a tattooist could do justice to the Great Man's artwork). So if anyone knows of an excellent tattooist in Brisbane Australia, drop me a line... my daughter will be most grateful and so will I.
Burn brightly, Pete

No comments:

Post a Comment