Sunday 25 September 2011

Early Retirement


So the Broncs went down to Manly (Manly 26- Broncos 14)on Friday night and Lockyer was forced to watch the defeat from the stands. "I never stopped dreaming that it could happen but I was also prepared that it might not either," he said. It meant an early retirement as he's now played his last game for the NRL this year.

"I couldn't have asked for a better year to finish with the Broncos to be honest. Maybe with a premiership, would have been better, but I've had a great time. I'm not feeling too bad, the end was coming, whether it was this week or next week. It's not the end of the 
world."

So it was a very demoralising night in front of the Tv set alone here at home last night - all my family were out, friends were either at work or holidaying on distant shores and I was left (like many other Queenslanders and the Great Man himself) what might have been. Still, we will get to see Lockyer play again in the Four Nations comp later this year if he gets the all-clear on the metal plates he's had inserted in his eye socket.

And then there's the strange twist of fate with the Warriors defeating the Minor Premiership winners the Storm tonight (Warriors 20 - Storm 12)and the Grand final being set up between the Warriors and Manly next weekend! I still haven't decided if I'll watch it or not... I do know if the Warriors are beaten by anymore than 12 points I'll feel very robbed.

No comments:

Post a Comment