Monday 24 October 2011

Water for Elephants

Finally caught up with the movie Water for Elephants - based on Sara Gruen's novel with the Twilight star Robert Pattinson and Reece Witherspoon. Its been out for a while and I only recently saw it, having been acquainted with the novel and wanting to see how it worked as a movie. I was pleasantly surprised - particularly by Mr Pattinson's efforts as well as the sumptuously filmed circus scenes depicting the 30s and the Depression era. Rosie the elephant was wonderful ( though not as well developed as the book's) and I enjoyed watching Christoph Waltz (Inglourious Basterds) once again playing a bastard.


Sara Gruen has said that her story parallels the story of Jacob in Genesis and you can see the similarities in the movie. There are obvious changes (always are) but in essence the love story remains at the heart of the piece. I had read that there was a Facebook campaign by animal activists to boycott the film but it seemed to have fizzled. I'd recommend it - but I am an old romantic heart and anything with Elephants, circus big top, Reese in spangly tights and a love story set in the thirties is always going to be a winner with me.
Burn brightly, Pete.

No comments:

Post a Comment