Saturday 16 July 2011

Pattern goes on...

When I wrote the other day about pattern, I received an email asking where were the female practitioners for comparison in the discussion... and then I began to wonder who I knew? Obviously there are the hundreds of Native American women who practice pattern on clay pots and other decorative artworks.

But there are also contemporary women artists whose works I enjoy that incorporate pattern and so here are some offerings from women working with pattern in their current art practice... most are obviously commercial designers and illustrators rather than fine artists, but their work is inspirational.

Born and raised in Colombia, and living in Barcelona since 1999, Catalina Estrada brings all the colors and power of Latin-American folklore and refines it with a touch of European sophistication. She creates fascinating worlds, full of colour, nature, and enchanting characters. Some of her clients include: Coca-Cola, Microsoft Zune, Sony Music, Nike, Levis, Smart/Mercedes Benz, Lexus, Honda, Paulo Coelho, Lindt, Unicef, Motorola, & Barcelona’s City Council. Not all of Estrada's work is pattern based as evidenced by her client base, but she is in high demand as an international illustrator with her highly distinctive touch.







I'll also add some other women illustrators whose pattern work I admire. These tend to be a little sweet in their imagery, but I do find it difficult to discover women who are working with a hard edge to their imagery when it comes to pattern so if anyone discovers other work out there that may be of interest, please let me know.
Burn brightly, Pete.

No comments:

Post a Comment