Wednesday 12 October 2011

The Apocalyptic World of Lori Nix

I've looked at Lori Nix's work previously on this blog but thought she was worth revisiting. Her photographs are quite unique and one of our students recently discovered her and used her images as the basis for a written assignment. Nix builds dioramas of the scenes and photographs them, painstakingly lighting them carefully. This collection is from a recent American exhibition.







“I am fascinated, maybe even a little obsessed, with the idea of the apocalypse. In addition to my childhood experiences with natural disasters, I also grew up watching 1970s films known as “disaster flicks”. I remember watching Towering Inferno, Earthquake, Planet of Apes and sitting in awe in the dark. Here was the same type of dangers I had experienced day to day being magnified and played out on the big screen in a typical Hollywood way. Each of these experiences has greatly influenced my photographic work. The series Accidentally Kansas explored my personal experience with the natural disasters of my childhood. The City postulates what it would be like to live in a city that is post man-kind, where man has left his mark by the architecture, but mother nature is taking back these spaces. Flora, fauna and insects mix with the detris of high and low culture.” -Lori Nix

No comments:

Post a Comment